Oktoberfest: Facts and Tips
Be a part of Oktoberfest in Munich this year when the world's largest folk festival celebrates its 205th birthday! You're welcome to join us on tour or use the information below to do it yourself. (That said, you'll be hard-pressed to do it cheaper than what we offer in our guided Oktoberfest tour packages.)
Below we've penned 18 interesting and need-to-know facts for the fairgrounds and beer tents.
(1) There is no cost to enter a beer tent or the festival grounds.
(2) In 2015, for the first time the price for a liter of beer (called a Maß, pronounced like ‘moss’) surpassed the 10-euro mark in all tents, costing between 10.10€ and 10.30€ (depending on the tent).
(3) Besides beer, soda and mineral water are available in every tent, as well as alcohol-free beer (in liter mugs for the same price as normal beer) and some wine.
(4) Beer is served from 10:00 Mon-Fri (from 9:00 Sat/Sun) until last call around 22:20; tents begin closing at 22:45 but “Käfer’s Wies’n Schänke” (No. 12 on our beer-tent list) stays open until 01:00, last call 00:15!
(5) In all tents you have to be seated to order a beer, with the exception of the standing zone in the Hofbräu tent (No. 5 on our beer-tent list). And you must order your beer from the server responsible for the section you’re in.
(6) Tents are packed Friday nights, all day Saturday, and Sunday till around 20:00. If there is a line to get in, try the side and back entrances. When the tent is utterly “overflowing with people” you’ll see a large sign hanging outside with the words: Wegen Überfüllung geschlossen! (In which case, try your luck at another tent or come back later.) Week days are easier to get a seat in a tent but week nights are busy (and note that the last Thursday night of the fest is chock-a-block full). The larger the group you are, the more difficult it will be to find seats. Small groups of 2-3 persons are manageable (depending on when you go); larger groups should be prepared to split up or join our Oktoberfest tour package.
(7) The drinking age in Germany is 18 for hard alcohol and 16 for beer, therefore you may see some juvenile faces in the mix, especially in the Schottenhamel tent.
(8) In the center of every tent is a stage for live bands to play sets from noon until closing with few breaks.
(9) All tents have a large kitchen and multiple chefs who prepare delectable Bavarian cuisine for lunch and dinner, e.g. cold cuts, sausages, soups, sauerkraut, schnitzel, schweinshaxe, pommes frites, potato salad, roast chicken and duck, pork with dumplings, apple strudel. Some tents specialize in a particular fare, like roast ox at the Ochsenbraterei (No. 7 on our beer-tent list) and smoked fish at Fischer Vroni (No. 1 on the list).
(10) It takes two months for construction workers to transform the fairgrounds from an enormous 100-acre asphalt expanse to a pulsating city of beer tents and food stands, roller coasters and carnival rides—and one month to disassemble it all.
(11) Some 6.5 million people will visit the fairgrounds during the two-week event and together they will consume the same number in liters of beer as well as 500, 000 roasted chickens, 120, 000 pairs of sausages, 80, 000 liters of wine, 50, 000 pork knuckles, 30, 000 bottles of champagne, and a gazillion pretzels. All told, fest-goers will bring an economic boon to the city of Munich to the tune of around 1€ billion, or US$1.3 billion. That’s roughly 62€ million, or $80 million, per day!
(12) You’ll be relieved to know there are roughly 965 toilets and 1 km of urinal troughs at the fairgrounds.
(13) Interestingly, by the end of last year’s Oktoberfest, Lost and Found had a mountain of some 4, 000 unclaimed items, including 260 pairs of eyeglasses, 200 cell phones, two pairs of crutches, one wedding ring, and—get this—one set of dentures. Crutches we understand, beer for centuries has been used as a curative, but dentures? What a night that must have been….john lewis outdoor lights stylish mens backpack restaurants in london with outdoor seating stylish crossbody bags outdoor patio furniture stylish loafers women's outdoor lounge worldwide covid cases stylish safety boots outdoor bbq kitchen member of a religious society how many watched philips funeral worldwide music business worldwide a&r awards christmas gift ideas for him stylish waterproof shoes women's outdoor rocking chair stylish necklace bournemouth international centre events potential barriers to effective communication find coworking spaces on offices coworking satellite communication service stylish kettle and toaster set janus worldwide communication training stylish cycling backpack why coworking are betting suburbs stylish safety shoes worldwide torrent infonomics society stylish effective crossword clue modern coworking space london coworking spaces soundless communication system british fertility society outdoor mirrors best coworking spaces for rent in downtown st cloud harwich international port john lewis christmas advert mens stylish rings outdoor paint international baccalaureate jc international acquisition llc coworking sofia christmas outfit coworking space for writers stylish gaming chair tesco international call app worldwide t shirt christmas markets 2022 uk communication boards families worldwide stylish ceiling lights c.h.robinson worldwide tu christmas jumpers christmas cushions christmas songs list society girl crossword international womens day quotes coworking space leeds mayfair worldwide mass communication degree how many deaths from astrazeneca worldwide stylish sofa beds anti slavery international international date line rich communication service message the hoxton coworking international airports in uk international calling app pakistan international airlines stylish alarm clock when will international travel resume car accident deaths per year worldwide stylish tshirts creative coworking spaces flu deaths 2022 worldwide stylish cat litter box methods of communication in business alzheimer's society uk loft coworking space christmas decoration ideas outdoor bars shoreditch stylish notice board stylish steel toe boots school of communication arts christmas craft ideas christmas decoration tesco christmas multiple sclerosis society coventry building society interest rates mr worldwide pitbull stylish friends group name stylish women's golf clothes oyster worldwide society of radiographers giant outdoor games tesco international calling app kurti stylish neck designs coworking space cheltenham international women communication cards for autism dhl international ikea outdoor lights best worldwide insurance pda society open society foundations what is specialist communication leeds coworking space outdoor garden storage stylish dressing table royal mail international postage stylish leggings kids christmas jumpers dedicated short range communication outdoor shops near me ba international outdoor rug b&m is there an international men's day pantheon international ll stylish 29 year old england rugby international christmas stockings coworking solutions fairy lights outdoor womankind worldwide nationwide building society interest rates stylish fancy ankara tops international rugby coworking space for students newcastle building society login christmas jumpers uk john lewis christmas decorations modern macrame: 33 stylish projects for your handmade home christmas market oxford cryptocurrency feature has gone worldwide coworking ibiza worldwide timeshare front hand stylish front hand simple mehndi design stylish modern mandir design worldwide life insurance coworking space sheffield wesleyan assurance society patient communication infection prevention society communication board autism affordable coworking spaces dogs aid society christmas projector lights outdoor patch coworking asda outdoor plants stylish windows saffron building society intermediaries outdoor mat outdoor bar covent garden newcastle building society lifetime isa hartsfield jackson atlanta international airport